Diane is a dedicated, creative and tenacious attorney, who assists her clients in all phases of litigation, from Alternative Dispute Resolution (“ADR”) through trial. From the moment Diane assumes the defense of a case, her focus is on how to efficiently and successfully resolve the case, while simultaneously assessing trial strategy.
Diane has been asked by her clients to step in and try complex cases in challenging venues. Her diverse experience allows her to offer clients a unique perspective for settlement options, defenses and trial strategy.
Diane has over 20 years of experience and her practice focuses on transportation litigation, including the defense of bus companies and railroads (Federal Employers' Liability Act); professional liability litigation, including nursing homes, and assisted living/senior living facilities; defense of non-profit entities; general liability; and catastrophic personal injuries, including wrongful death and traumatic brain injuries, in the state and federal courts of New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New York.
Her unique experience also includes the success of defending nursing homes, and assisted living and senior living facilities for over ten years, and she offers extensive experience regarding risk management. She has also successfully defended transportation companies accused of physical and or mental abuse of disabled children.
Among Diane’s notable results are:
- Favorable settlements in extensive multi-party mediations in multiple states, involving cases of wrongful death, traumatic brain injuries, catastrophic injuries and nursing home liability, resulting in a cap of exposure and reducing her client’s litigation costs;
- A defense verdict representing a student transportation company and two of its employees, wherein plaintiff, a severely autistic minor, was allegedly physically and verbally abused by the insured's bus driver and bus aide, resulting in severe PTSD and worsening of his autism;
- Successful Frye hearing aborting trial of multi-million dollar case, which precluded plaintiff from proceeding to the jury with respect to his claims that he suffered a stroke as a result of an accident involving a bus company;
- Defense verdicts in transportation and general negligence cases.
Diane is a member of the firm's marketing committee. She also serves as the member supervisor for the firm's New Jersey office paralegals.
She has presented to clients on the topic of the internet and social media as it relates to litigation and trial strategy and defending transportation companies against allegations of physical and verbal abuse.
Diane has also taught as an Adjunct Professor - Legal Research and Writing at Seton Hall University School of Law.
After law school, she clerked for the Hon. G. Donald Haneke, U.S. District Court of New Jersey.
Sadek v. Greyhound, No. 108589/07 (Sup. Ct. N.Y. Co. 2011) (As a result of a successful Frye hearing during trial, precluded plaintiff from proceeding to the jury with respect to claims he suffered a stroke as a result of bus accident; subsequently, plaintiff, who had demanded $10 million to settle case, dismissed his orthopedic claims, including claim that he required back surgery, to pursue appeal)
Vogel v. Laidlaw, No. BER-L-9126-06 (N.J. Super. Ct. Bergen Co. 2010) (defense verdict for a student transportation company and two of its employees where plaintiff, a severely autistic minor, was allegedly physically and verbally abused by bus driver and bus aide, resulting in severe PTSD and worsening of his autism)
Diaz v. Amtrak, No. 002802/01 (Ct. of Common Pleas Philadelphia, PA 2003) (defense verdict in FELA suit, where plaintiff had demanded $750,000 for injuries sustained while lifting a 16-foot timber, with allegedly improper equipment and insufficient manpower, requiring lumbar decompression and bilateral spinal fusion)
U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Supreme Court
Associations and Professional Activities
National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
Defense Research Institute
- Medical Liability and Health Care Law Committee
- Trucking Law Committee
- Women In The Law Committee
- Subcommittee of WITL - Networking
New Jersey Women Lawyers Association
- Women’s Leadership Resources Committee
- Membership Committee
The Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Transportation Committee
- Committee Conference Committee
- Membership Committee
Pennsylvania Bar Association
New Jersey Bar Association
New York Bar Association
Honors and Awards
J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey, 1994
President, Student Bar Association, 1993 - 1994
B.A., Pennsylvania State University, 1991