Valued for her ability to unravel the intricacies of a claim and effectively formulate and nurture successful litigation strategies, Melanie’s clients often call upon her to take on - or over - difficult cases in difficult venues. They note that Melanie looks at all the angles, identifies opportunities to develop favorable law through targeted motion practice and is a creative trial attorney who finds a way to successfully communicate substantive defense arguments to lay jurors.
With over 20 years of experience representing clients in state and federal court against a wide range of complex tort, wrongful death and professional liability cases, she is also often asked to present insights, recommendations and customized risk management solutions to her clients and their insureds.
Examples of some of Melanie's notable results include:
- Defense verdict on liability in a Kings County lead paint claim involving a child in special education while living in an apartment where the Department of Health issued hazardous lead paint violations.
- Defense verdict on medical causation grounds in a Kings County lead paint claim involving a special education child.
- Successful motion in limine to bifurcate a lead paint trial in Kings County, leading to favorable settlement of brain injury claim.
- Multiple defense verdicts in cases involving claims of malpractice.
- Successful defense of professionals against claims of misconduct before the Office of Professional Discipline.
- Successful Frye motions eliminating and limiting trial claims.
- Dismissal of secondary exposure and wrongful death claims in pesticide exposure litigation
- Nominal settlements at early stages of litigation and following motion practice
- Numerous dismissals, voluntary stipulations of discontinuance, and orders of judgment on common law and contractual indemnification claims resulting in the recovery of attorneys fees.
New York, 1995
U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court Northern District of New York
U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
Associations and Professional Activities
Defense Research Institute, Women in the Law Committee
Practicing Attorneys for Law Students (“PALS”), Mentor
American Mock Trial Association Regional Tournament, Judge
New York University School of Law, Orison S. Marden Competition, moot court judge
J.D., Cum Laude, Albany Law School Union University, Albany, New York, 1994
Editor, Albany Law Review
National Trial Team
Moot Court Board
Senior Prize Trials Finalist
Coach, Client Counseling
The Justinian Society
Research Assistant, Professor Saitta
B.A., State University of New York at Stony Brook, 1991